Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to [email protected] or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Position title: Head of People and Culture, WWF Kenya
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer, WWF-Kenya
Supervises: Organization Development Lead, People & Culture Coordinator, Administration Officer.
Date: March 2020
Career Level: TBD
- Mission of the Department: To ensure a high performing WWF-Kenya by embedding best People Management, Organizational Development and Administration practices as key components of achieving WWF Kenya’s conservation goals.
- Major Functions: The role holder will be responsible for ensuring that WWF-Kenya is provided with the people resources that are necessary for achievement of its strategic and tactical goals. This involves leading the development and implementation of a far-reaching talent management strategy to ensure the recruitment, retention, development and motivation of appropriate numbers of skilled staff. In addition, developing leadership pipelines that will support effective leadership and motivation of staff across the office.
- Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a Talent Management Strategy that will effectively contribute towards achievement of the Organizational strategy as well as driving staff engagement & high performance.
- Conduct a needs analysis to determine the strategic resourcing requirements of function heads and WWF-Kenya country programmes; in particular, identifying critical organizational competency requirements.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the strengths and deficits of organizational climate in the various units and determine the root causes of any issues.
- Offer strategic leadership and support to the CEO in rolling out of change management initiatives.
- Facilitate Senior Leadership in developing a comprehensive talent management strategy that responds effectively to the issues raised.
- Produce regular reports to the WWF-Kenya Board and CEO, and to WWF Network (as required) on People & Culture matters, including analysis and reporting on key People & Culture metrics.
- Act as the budget holder for OD funds and Core office funds ensuring cost management and control practices are linked to strategic targets of attaining financial sustainability.
- Develop policies, systems and procedures that will support effective people management for WWF-Kenya; resulting in more effective performance management, motivation and delivery of HR services.
- Oversee the ongoing development of effective organization structures (reporting relationships and accountability mechanisms); supporting the development of strategic & annual staffing plans and succession planning for business continuity.
- Draft/revise policies and procedures to meet the growing and changing needs of the Organization.
- Responsible for coordinating and leading an efficient administration service in relation to general office management and facility management of all WWF-Kenya offices. This includes being the custodian of all lease agreements.
- Maintain WWF-Kenya fixed assets list, ensuring that all WWF assets are properly safeguarded, insured and tracked.
- Maintain oversight of all work permits, registrations and exemptions granted in Kenya in line with the relationship with NGO Board and other government agencies/authorities.
- Develop strategies for enhancing the quality of leadership experienced by staff and the extent to which supervision is motivational.
- Ensure that systems, records & routines for all key People & Culture functions are in place and represent good practice (e.g. recruitment, induction, performance management, employee wellbeing, Learning & Development, HR records, compliance documentation e.t.c)
- In particular, develop, implement and monitor the employee performance management framework/system; ensuring effective linkage with Performance & planning systems.
- Manage the implementation of an HR software system; ensuring that the system operates effectively & data is analysed appropriately.
Learning & Development
- Ensure the development and implementation of an organization-wide Learning & Development strategy, which will result in WWF-Kenya staff being equipped with the skills and knowledge necessary for full performance in their roles.
- Oversee the strategy and portfolio development process for the Young Conservation Academy; ensuring that a fully consultative process is used to identify young conservation enthusiasts, grow their learning on the job needs through strategic business priorities for intervention.
- Ensure that cost-effective and innovative strategies to meet staff L&D needs are developed and implemented; including results management frameworks and tools to continually enhance impact and value for money.
- Work with functional and thematic leads to develop their own learning and career development plans; feeding the results into top level succession planning; ensure that similar services are provided to functional/programme staff.
- Give particular attention to ensuring that leadership development mechanisms are in place, (including gathering feedback on leadership style, co-ordinating coaching/mentoring to support improvement and providing learning & development opportunities).
- Ensure that potential risks associated with the organization’s employment of staff are identified & mitigated, including safeguarding strategies, data protection and compliance with HR policies and legislation.
- Ensure that risk management matrices are in place & adhered to; both organization-wide and at the outset of each new project to ensure that HR-related risks are identified and mitigated (e.g. Safeguarding, Health, Safety & Security e.t.c)
- Ensure that all legal/statutory requirements associated with the employment of staff by WWF-Kenya are fulfilled, and that key HR-related initiatives are addressed.
- Prepare for and support audits; ensure that any corrective actions relating to People management are closed out in a timely manner.
- Advise Management concerning best practice in talent management; aiming to support the achievement of strategic goals and drive a culture of high performance, as regards both project delivery and compliance.
- Analyse key HR metrics in order to understand the root causes of any problems (e.g. gender equity & diversity) and to identify any opportunities.
- Lead interventions to enhance employee wellbeing, motivation, engagement and retention.
- Provide comprehensive HR advice and support to Senior Managers as requested (especially in case of grievance, disciplinary situations or performance management)
- Lead the Talent Management team of staff in a manner that empowers them to add value to WWF-Kenya and deliver high standards of performance.
- Develop a resourcing strategy for the People & Culture and Organization Development team. Ensure the team is resourced with the expertise necessary to deliver on strategy implementation through a combination of recruitment and management of staff.
- Ensure that each team member is provided with clarity concerning goals and expectations of their personal role in achieving results, standards and behaviour.
- Plan and organise the work of the team to accomplish strategic & project goals and targets in the most cost-effective and impactful manner possible.
- Monitor and review performance and hold staff accountable for achieving results, meeting standards of excellence and taking decisive action in the case of poor performance.
- Ensure delivery of an engaging leadership style that motivates team members and results in high performance.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the CEO or his/her designate.
- Degree in HR, Business Administration, Organization Development or equivalent. Possession of an MBA or equivalent post-graduate qualification would be an added advantage.
- A practicing member of the Institute of Human Resources Management-Kenya (IHRM).
- A minimum of 8 years’ professional experience in a HR, L&D, OD position 5 of which should be in an INGO setting.
- Solid foundation knowledge and experience of all aspects of People Management in an INGO setting.
- Demonstrable skills in the development of People Management systems preferably in the context of an international NGO.
- Experience of working with a payroll software, HRIS or ERP system.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to build strong working relationships with both internal and external clients, and focus on being service oriented.
- Excellent advisory skills and ability to promote team synergy in a multi-cultural work environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills (tact, diplomacy, discretion and impartiality) are essential for this position.
- Proven people management skills with strong ability to effectively communicate at all levels within the organization.
- Proven experience in managing rapid organizational growth strategies.
- Ability to drive outcomes through influencing and networking skills.
- Meticulous with keen attention to detail.
- Able to identify and provide solutions which benefit the organization.
- Positive attitude and an organized approach to work.
- Strong judgement and leadership skills with the ability to influence others.
- Ability to work in multi-project settings, handle multiple and competing priorities.
- Working Relationships:
Internal: Interacts frequently with WWF-Kenya Board, Senior Leadership Team and all staff. Work closely with Managers and Leads.
External: Contact with government regulatory bodies. Work with HR partner firm e. g: C&B survey firms, recruitment firms, Employer bodies. Liaise with other HR networks and professionals.
HOW TO APPLY?
Please apply with your CV and cover letter as one file with the Job Title of Position Applied for on the subject line to: [email protected] to be received no later than August 13th, 2021. We will not accept applications without a CV and cover letter.
- Candidates who had applied need not re-apply.
- Work permit restrictions may apply.
- WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce
This job description covers the main tasks. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
Success! You’re on the list.
Whoops! There was an error and we couldn’t process your subscription. Please reload the page and try again.