INTERNATIONAL CONSULTANT/HEAD OF AREA OFFICE
WFP – World Food Programme
Open positions at WFP
Open application form
Application deadline in 11 days: Tuesday 6 Jul 2021
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
These jobs are found in Area Offices that manage one or a couple of small WFP Field Offices within a defined geographical region of the country. Job holders report to the Country Director or Deputy Country Director.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
JOB PURPOSE: To lead and manage a WFP Area Office to ensure the effective and efficient management of human and financial resources and delivery of WFP programs and activities.
A large emphasis is placed upon building and maintaining relationships with local governments, UN agencies and other partners in the area to reinforce WFP’s visibility.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive, within delegated authority):
1. Contribute to the development of Country strategies, policies and programmes to ensure that local needs inform country-wide planning.
2. Support promotion and deployment of WFP’s corporate/CO initiatives, strategies and directions.
3. Hold accountability for effective management of WFP operations within the area of assignment to ensure timely and effective deployment of assistance programmes.
4. Effectively manage the Area Office and Field Office(s) under responsibility to ensure transparent and efficient people management and the continued development of a cohesive and high performing team.
5. Ensure efficient use of financial resources for achievement of set objectives.
6. Hold accountability for the security of WFP staff, operations, premises and assets in the Area Office to ensure that WFP security and safety standards are locally set and followed. Actively participate and contribute to the Area Security Management Team (ASMT).
7. Hold accountability for close collaboration with governments and other partners in identifying where assistance can be usefully employed at the local level and ensure provision of support and technical expertise for the planning, formulation and implementation of food assistance programmes, including advice on the context-specific transfer modalities (food, cash or vouchers).
8. Hold accountability for timely monitoring and evaluation activities and for accurate and comprehensive analysis and reports on WFP’s operations and performance to inform operational planning and decisions.
9. Forge and nurture external partnerships to improve assistance packages, develop and sustain liaison with local government authorities, international and local NGOs, civil societies, UN
agencies, donors, beneficiaries and other partners and media engaged in the field of food security.
10. Engage with beneficiaries, inspect storage places and points where WFP commodities are received, in order to ensure compliance with WFP policies and that progress is made in the
achievement of project objectives.
11. Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
12. Other as required.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE:
· Has developed, or supported in the development of, multi-discipline work plans to support the achievement of WFP strategic aims within a defined area.
· Has gained 8 years of experience in field operations, preferably in a hardship duty station or emergency situation.
· Gained experience of analysing political situations, assessing risk accurately.
· Has gained experience managing mid-size financial budgets, balancing multiple priorities effectively.
· Has experience leading a mid-size to large team to ensure the effective delivery of objectives.
· Participated in a vendor/government/ partner negotiation.
· Participated in an emergency operation/ development programme, preferably in a hardship duty station.
· Has experience with security co-ordination and compound management within a mid-size area.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 4 July 2021
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.