JOB TITLE: Program Manager
LOCATION: Terekeka County, South Sudan
START DATE: 1st september 2021**
DURATION: 7 Months with possibility of extension based on availability of funds and performance
HealthNet TPO is a knowledge-driven, non-profit international organization established in 1992 that works in areas disrupted by war, disasters and poverty. Working together with local populations, we prioritize rehabilitation and sustainable healthcare development. Our mission is to strengthen communities, help them to regain control and maintain their health and wellbeing – including mental health – while at the same time strengthening national health care systems to ensure health needs are met. Our community interventions engage local people with local knowledge, and we are convinced that even the most vulnerable people have the inner strength to (re) build a better future for themselves. In doing so, we aspire to include and build the capacity of local organizations, communities and authorities. HealthNet TPO has country offices in Afghanistan, Burundi, South Sudan, and in the Netherlands where its main office is located.
HealthNet TPO’s program in South Sudan dates from 1996. The country office is located in Juba, with field offices in Terekeka, Raja, and Nyamlel. With funding from the Health Pooled Fund (HPF), HealthNet TPO is working in collaboration with County Health Departments (CHDs) in the counties of Terekeka, Raja and Aweil North and West to support the provision of essential healthcare service across health facilities and in communities. The main aim of the program is to support the strengthening of health systems and health services delivery for basic primary health care and secondary health care, with a particular focus on improving maternal and child care. In Terekeka County, we are acting as the lead in a consortium with Impact Health Organisation (IHO).
The Program Manager is responsible for overall program cycle management of HPF programming in Terekeka County (Lot 2), including its scope, quality, schedules, risks, and representation at the state and county levels. With technical support from the Senior Public Health Advisor, the Program Manager will be based in Terekeka and will ensure the provision of quality health care services in health facilities and in the communities. This will be done in accordance with accepted guidelines of South Sudan and those provided by HPF within its program. The Program Manager will maintain a close working relationship with the County Health Department and the State Ministry of Health. The Program Manager will identify gaps in health services and take the necessary steps to address those gaps, provide technical oversight to field-based health staff and take accountability in the following areas:
· Oversee the implementation of HPF program in Terekeka (Lot 2) and other health programs, ensuring that stated goals and objectives are met, that projects are monitored and evaluated, and that accurate and high quality reports are prepared and submitted on time, while contributing to delivering key performance indicators as required by donors
· Be responsible for close monitoring of local context developments, including security issues
· Participate in assessments, projects design and proposal writing. Prepare work plans, budgets and manage the grants in coordination with Senior Public Health Advisor and Head of Finance and Administration
· Ensure that HPF and other health programs are implemented in accordance with the donor’s program framework and principles: capacity building, partnership and integrated programming, promoting, participation and protecting rights as well as safeguarding
· Prevent and if necessary report and investigate fraud, corruption and misconduct within the HNTPO staff and partners
· Contribute to program quality through mentoring, training, supportive supervisons, QSC and QOC assessments
· Promote a culture of learning and documentation to ensure that field experiences and lessons are documented and used to advocate on behalf of the communities where we work
· Contribute to medical supply chain management, procurement of buffer stock and other commodities that facilitate smooth implementation of program activities
· Ensure program visibility, compliance and deliver key performance indicators and regulations as agreed by the donor
· Be responsible for the overall security of the team and assets in a changeable and volatile security environment, including initiating and organizing evacuation if necessary.
· Work with the Head of Finance and Administration to develop project expenditures and procurement plans. Support the team to implement work plans, ensuring compliance with HealthNet TPO and donor rules
· Review financial reports with health staff on a monthly basis, recommend actions to correct identified problems to finance team
· Recommend grant and budget revisions and realignments based on program needs to the Senior Public Health Advisor and Head of Finance and Administration.
· Manage, supervise and contribute to capacity-building of staff and CHD officials
· Set performance objectives to directly supervised staff and routinely monitor their performance
· Determine personnel needs for field-level activities, and in coordination wih the Senior Public Health Advisor, develop job descriptions and participate in the recruitment and onboarding process of staff in duty station
· Recommend promotions, disciplinary action and termination of health staff through consultation with the Senior Public Health Advisor and Head of Finance and Administration
· Develop and advise on ongoing education programs for supervised staff.
Coordination and representation
· Ensure integrated programming approach with other sectoral work and staff
· Represent HealthNet TPO in different fora in the scope of the duty station
· Represent HealthNet TPO to other health agencies, including the Ministry of Health (MOH), WHO, and non-governmental organizations, as requested by the Senior Public Health Advisor.
· Respond to the program needs of HealthNet TPO team as appropriate and undertake any delegated responsibilities
Reports to: Senior Public Health Advisor**
Supervises: Program staff of the duty station
Coordinates with: Finance and Administration, Logistics and Procurement team**
BACKGROUND AND SKILLS
· Health professional (MD, RN or PA, with an MPH is preferred) with strong public health background
· At least three years’ experience in coordinating and managing health programs in developing countries. Preference is given for candidates with previous experience in South Sudan and under HPF programming
· Background in situation analysis, health assessments and health program cycle management, including the utilization of tools such as the Logical Framework and Theory of Change
· Strong ability to support and build the capacity of national team and government staff
· Experience supervising multi-national staff in a complex and sometimes challenging setting
· Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to live and work under pressure in a remote environment
· Experience in grant management and proposal writing is preferred
· Excellent computer skills: MS Word, Excel, Power-point, Epi-Info/SPSS, DHIS 2, Outlook, etc.
· Fluency in English. Arabic language skills or other languages spoken in South Sudan are an advantage.
· Additional qualities: ability to multitask, ability to handle pressure, flexibility, sense of humor.
ADDITIONAL JOB SPECIFICATIONS
· We offer a fair salary ranging between 3000 and 3200 Euros per month and a competitive package including accommodation, living and holiday allowances
· This is a full-time position, based on a 40-hour work week from Mondays to Fridays (8.00 am to 5.00pm (including 1 hour lunch break)**
· This is a non-dependent position
· Willingness and ability to live in a harsh environment with basic facilities